It can be a very distressing time after a cyclone once you and your family start to assess the situation. Check on Family, Friends and Neighbours to ensure they too are safe. It is important to follow the next steps immediately after a Cyclone:
- Don’t go outside until officially advised it is safe.
- Check for gas leaks. Don’t use electric appliances if wet.
- Listen to local radio for official warnings and advice.
- If you have to evacuate, or did so earlier, don’t return until advised. Use a recommended route and don’t rush.
- Beware of damaged power lines, bridges, buildings, trees, and don’t enter floodwaters.
- Heed all warnings and don’t go sightseeing. Check/help neighbours instead.
- Don’t make unnecessary telephone calls.